Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Blog #10 Quarter 2

I have finished Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell because I read A LOT this weekend. I don't quite like the ending all that much because it's a little vague as to what happened because Mr. Strange becomes mad for small periods of time to fight with the fairy to get his wife back who is being held captive in the fairy's Castle of Lost Hope. However soon he is surrounded by "eternal night"and all of a sudden the people of England can do all sorts of magic! So what really happened? Where exactly did they get the magic from? It was sort of confusing to me, but I guess in a weird way it made some sense (I still wish that it was explained a little better, but I guess that part of reading is also inferring information yourself). I also don't like how we never actually learn the fairy's name, he's always referred to as "the fairy" or "the gentleman with the thistle-down hair", it's like TV when you never ever get to see the character's face. It's annoying! I also made a connection in the book to when Jonathan Strange is trying to cure King George of his madness. We watched a movie in AP European History about how King George went mad because he had a disease, but I like it when authors try and explain events in history in their book fictionally because I think it makes the story more fun to read because you know what really happened, however the author makes up a much more fun way of what happened. In the novel King George actually goes mad because the fairy wants him to go mad so he can make Stephan Black the King of England. Overall I ended up really liking the book even though I thought it was a little slow at some points.

No comments: