Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Blog #9 Quarter 2

The next few chapters in Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell are about Mr. Norrell trying to get rid of all of the street magicians. First he tries to get a Department of Magic established in the government, but they tell him that they are in the middle of a long and bloody war, and also that he is currently the only known magician. Therefore they don't have the time nor the resources to spare for 1 single magician. So then he goes to the mayor of London and the mayor agrees to help him pass legislation to get rid of street magicians in London. All of them leave except the most famous and well-loved of the street magicians, Vinculus. Therefore after many attempts to remove Vinculus, Mr. Norrell finally sends Childermass to get rid of him with spells. However Childermass doesn't like Mr. Norrell's methods of getting Vinculus to leave so he decides to deal with him with a different way. A way which I will find out about in my next reading.

Like I mentioned in my previous blog, Mr. Norrell doesn't like the idea of other magicians in the world and I personally find it quite funny that he is so insecure that he needs to get rid of all the fake magicians, who don't even have a hope at doing magic, away from England to therefore boost his standing among others. I also predict that Vinculus will surely be back, because he just seems to be popping up back in the story and I don't think they can leave him alone for the rest of the book (Just like I also think that Mr. Segundas must not have disappeared either because he seemed to be the main character in the 1st few chapters, he was there so much). Also Childermass somewhat gives me the impression that he is much more than just a man who handles some of Mr. Norrell's affairs. He seems too clever and just too mysterious to be just that, so I think that we will be seeing a lot of him also in upcoming chapters.

No comments: